Saturday, July 18, 2015

< slightly evil laugh >

My kids are away at camp, so I took the opportunity to re-vamp the chalkboard that's painted on the side of our pantry cupboard.  We haven't used it in... oh, a while, if I can judge by the "31 MORE DAYS TILL CHRISTMAS" that I wiped off of it yesterday.  Prior to using it as a countdown calendar, I had been using it to write down the kids' chores for them every day.

They didn't like that.

Recently, they have decided that they are old enough, nay, MATURE enough, that they should be allowed to simply look around their environment and clean up anything that they deem necessary.  Why should I treat them like children and dictate their actions by giving them a list?  Tsk.

I like this idea in theory.  It shows initiative.  It shows responsibility.  It shows how much of a sucker I am for falling for it.  I probably don't have to tell you how much it did not work.  Between the sibling bickering and the wide-eyed lying about what chores were not obvious enough to have captured their attention (food wrappers on the couch apparently being invisible to the naked eye), it's resulted in more frustration for me and waaaaaay less cleaning for them.

Oh, also there was a sale at Michael's and I bought some chalkboard markers.  Wanted to try them out.  Result: I like 'em.


I'll be honest, I sort of slapped this together, I didn't make sketches or do much planning.  That's why the lines are wiggly and the letters aren't all straight, but you know what... it was fun.  Also, it washes off, so I didn't feel like I was too committed.  Seriously, FUN.  You should try it.


Since they're going to show up dirty and tired, I only gave them one chore - THIS TIME.  YOUR job is to not tell them the paint washes off, because otherwise that's how the mutiny will start.  All I know is, chores have to be listed, otherwise they don't get done.  Also, if your children are perfect angels and do their chores without parental haranguing, well, just keep it to yourself, mmkay?  Thanks.

xo
Shelley

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think...