Sunday, February 13, 2011

Never had one lesson!

Okay, that's not EXACTLY true.

A couple of years ago, I signed up for a beginner's art class that was supposed to teach me how to draw.  Well, the teacher and I didn't exactly see eye to eye.  Her idea of teaching was to repeatedly say some phrases that didn't mean anything to me, like, "Just draw what you see!"  (If I could do that, I WOULDN'T BE HERE) and "Compare and contrast!" (?????)

So yeah.  I've had a couple of lessons.  But on the whole, I just try to draw what I see.  HAHA!!  Ironic, isn't it.

I didn't see this chicken in person today.  Just a photo of him standing atop a building.  He's a roadside attraction somewhere, I think.  I thought he looked majestic and happy, so I decided to see if I could draw him.  I was just playing, nothing serious.


I sketched him out in Sharpie and filled it in with watercolours.  He does not look exactly like my model, but if I don't show you that one, then you can't compare and contrast, can you?  Basically, if you can tell it's a chicken without me giving you a broad hint, (BAWK!) then I'm happy with how he turned out.

Of course, I can never leave well enough alone.  I thought he was a little boring, so I added some extra details to the background.


Can you still tell it's a chicken?

Good.  Then my work here is done.

Love Shelley!

3 comments:

  1. it's definitely a chicken! :)

    and it's a fab chicken too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your raw talent continues to amaze me. You are, quite simply, an ARTISTE!!

    Love,
    c.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love your journal! humor. i think laughing this hard might give me abs again.....
    sheer awesomeness.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you think...